After working and teaching in the media for many years a group of us decided to try and do something to enable under represented and disadvantaged groups to access the powerful tool which is the media.
Together we have a variety of skills which can enable such groups to work towards some form of visibility in the community, empowerment through learning how to use the technology and forums to display their work.
We have social media, website making, graphic design, film making, journalistic, and teaching skills which we can combine so that our target groups can learn to create their own media products effectively.
- To carry out training and workshops to help communities, particularly disadvantaged groups, to gain access to all forms of media;
- To improve access to employment and training opportunities in the media for diverse groups;
- To enable small organisations to access and use the media to promote their work;
- To promote education and understanding of the media in the process of change;
- To enable disadvantaged communities to be heard within the media and society in order to promote positive change and greater understanding;
- To promote research to understand the effect of media on certain social groups;
- To carry out activities in the above areas as deemed charitable.
Action Media was founded by Deb Snow and Phil Eastbrook.
Deb is Head of Media in an independent school and a senior ‘A’ level examiner. She works with Diabetes UK and acts as a Type 1 Diabetes advocate.
Phil is a film maker with many TV production credits to his name. He regularly works with Rosies Rainbow, a charity for families coping with very sick and disbled children.