After working and teaching in the media for many years a group of us decided to try and do something to enable under represented and disadvantaged groups to access the powerful tool which is the media.
Together we have a variety of skills which can enable such groups to work towards some form of visibility in the community, empowerment through learning how to use the technology and forums to display their work.
We have social media, website making, graphic design, film making, journalistic, and teaching skills which we can combine so that our target groups can learn to create their own media products effectively.
- To carry out training and workshops to help communities, particularly disadvantaged groups, to gain access to all forms of media;
- To improve access to employment and training opportunities in the media for diverse groups;
- To enable small organisations to access and use the media to promote their work;
- To promote education and understanding of the media in the process of change;
- To enable disadvantaged communities to be heard within the media and society in order to promote positive change and greater understanding;
- To promote research to understand the effect of media on certain social groups;
- To carry out activities in the above areas as deemed charitable.
Action Media was founded by Deb Snow and Phil Eastbrook and is currently run by Deb with Tina Dixon and Tom Turner.
Deb is Head of Media in an independent school and a senior ‘A’ level examiner. She works with Diabetes UK and acts as a Type 1 Diabetes advocate.
Tina is a Media, Film, Communications and Sociology teacher, with twenty years of experience teaching with exceptional results. She has set up production companies in colleges for students to work on ‘real’ projects, and achieve skills in production. She has been a Senior Examiner for the national exam board, AQA on Media A-Level for the last fourteen years, Deputy Chair for another exam board, OCR and an examiner for the International Baccalaureate on the Higher Level Film Presentation. She delivers teacher conferences for AQA, has a published media textbook and writes regularly for various media publications.
Tom is a highly talented and experienced video practitioner, with over twenty years both behind the camera and in the editing suite. Since graduating in 1997 with a BA (Hons) in Film and Video, he has worked extensively in the volunteer and freelance sectors – in community video and local advertising – and as a PGCE-qualified Media tutor in Further Education. He has developed several short courses of study, focusing primarily on training in the use of video production and post-production equipment and techniques. Tom was recently listed on IMDB as a film director, and also runs a small company, Paramore Productions, covering events and producing corporate promos, music videos and feature films. Below you can find their 2014 showreel: